Below is a great guide, especially for those who have Irish ancestors that emigrated to the U.S. in the late 1800’s – 1900’s. I have successfully traced several friend’s ancestors back to their home county in Ireland. They emigrated to NYC in the late 1800’s – early 1910’s.

As the guide mentions, it can take days, months or even years to trace your ancestors back to Ireland. The hardest part for me is make sure I have located the ‘right’ ancestor in the U.S. So far, it has taken me months and up to a year to make my way back to Ireland. It has taken me this long because of so little information in the beginning, but you can eventually piece the information together.

You will eventually make it here. 

What makes it difficult finding the ‘right’ ancestor? Multiple children and Irish naming patterns! Example: In trying to find the correct children for an ancestor, I am now up to 6 (I believe) John Joseph Kerrigans and they are all related to the main ancestor…. children, grandchildren, brothers, cousins, uncles, etc.! Naming patterns can be helpful, but it can really throw you off if you are not taking notes.

DNA can be helpful in tracing Irish ancestors, but in my experience, you need to build your tree out far enough before you start seeing similar ancestors and surnames. Add all children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren….as far as you can go because they are the ones testing.

Irish research is not for the faint of heart, but it can hone your research skills and be exhilarating when you finally locate the correct ancestor!

3 Steps to Tracing Your Irish Ancestry Back to Ireland (A Letter from Ireland)

Helpful Irish Resources - free & paid

Helpful NYC Resources